Wednesday, November 17, 2010

You Know What, Princess? You Are UGLY When You're Blogging!

This year, like any year, marks another grand opportunity to put the wraps on Batman and Spider-Man Save Christmas and finally move one film out of my Projects folder and into my Library folder. As is per the norm, the excitement hit just a little late and so I'm pressure-cooking myself back into hyper-drive to edit it on time. And is also per the norm, I'm discovering just what a mess it is musically.

I can't describe it; it's the strangest editing in my life, and this film (if any!) should have more than an ample supply of pre-written, well-fitting score from any of a zillion Batman and Spider-Man movies, let alone hoards of other super hero soundtracks that fit juts as easily. And yet, for all that music, I'm still dipping into films like STAR TREK for music, and I'm still coming up short. What is it about this movie that just doesn't have long enough scenes, or timely-enough hooks, or arcs that mirror the pieces playing? I'm so bewildered! Every single year, I pull this film back out and think, "Alright, no more being lazy! Just work hard and get it done." But this happens instead every year -- I spend HOURS and end up FRUSTRATED, with little or no progress made.

I should probably -- literally -- throw the first pieces into those gaps that come to mind and simply export. Badabing, badaboom. Get this crap over with and stop wasting time and brain power trying to mastermind a more fitting soundtrack. If there's anything I should've learned over these several years of making it, it's that Batman and Spider-Man simply do not want an effective movie score. And by golly, if I work on this another ten years, they'll be sure to turn their masked noses up at every song I try.

Batman. Spider-Man. May God have mercy on your souls. And may God have mercy on me and pop the perfect tracks into mind that belong in this film. Because goodness knows I'm utterly clueless at this point, and I'm already losing my energy for it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment